10.03.2013

PUMPKIN ENCHILADAS




Pumpkin enchiladas... I'm all for pumpkin anything but this sounds a bit strange, right?  Hear me out.  I was planning on making enchiladas for dinner one night last week but I wanted to mix it up a bit and try something new.  I was looking at different recipes and came across this one as one of the first listed on the Food Network website, found here.  I skipped over it but then started thinking... "Well, I've got about a dozen cans of pumpkin in the pantry and pumpkin does go really well with all kinds of spices..."

A few hours later, these were made, and boy are they good!  They are a little different and you have to like the sweet and spicy combo to enjoy them, but they ended up being pretty tasty.  I switched up the recipe from the original a little bit and kicked up the spices a notch.  I just added some hot sauce and they turned out wonderful.  Another note - I skipped the whole process of rolling up a bunch of little tortillas and just layered it all flat, lasagna style, which is much easier, faster and just as yummy!  So I guess it's technically pumpkin lasagna, but that sounds even stranger.  Let me know if you give these a try!

Ingredients:
  • 1 small chopped onion
  • 1 jalapeno, chopped
  • 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons hot sauce
  • 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
  • 1 package corn tortillas
  • 3/4 cup red enchilada sauce
  • shredded cheese
  • salt and pepper
  • sour cream
  • chopped green onions

Directions

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2.  Saute onion and jalapeno until it begins to brown and transfer to a bowl.
3.  Add pumpkin, hot sauce and taco seasoning to the bowl, mix well and season with salt and pepper.
4.  Layer baking pan with a layer of enchilada sauce, tortillas, cheese, then pumpkin mixture and repeat until all ingredients are used.  Top with another layer of cheese.
5.  Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is nice and hot and bubbly.  Top with sour cream and green onions, then... enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm I bet those are interesting! I made a pumpkin pasta dish last year that I really loved, but I never would have thought about pumpkin enchiladas! Kudos to you!

    EatPrayWearLove

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...