My mom found this recipe and I made it last week on quite a chilly night. It's flavorful and hearty enough for the main course. You could add any spices you like to kick it up a notch, either to the soup or the homemade croutons - and trust me on making the croutons, they only take a few minutes, are super-simple and so delicious!
Ingredients for Pumpkin and White Bean Soup:
- olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 15 1/2 ounces canned white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/8 sea salt
- 1/8 black pepper
- grated Parmesan cheese
1. Coat large pot or dutch oven with olive oil. Add onion and cook until tender.
2. Stir in pumpkin, beans, broth and oregano and simmer for about 8 minutes.
3. Transfer soup into a blender and process until smooth. Return soup to pot and reheat. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and homemade croutons.
Ingredients for Homemade Croutons:
- once loaf sourdough bread
- olive oil
1. Slice bread into one-inch cubes.
2. Spread on baking sheet, coat with olive oil and toss to distribute.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes, until golden brown.
Enjoy! Hopefully this will warm you up while we're still stuck in the middle of winter here. I, for one, am so ready for warm weather! (And summer, because that means baby girl will be here!)