Our baby was only on the market for a few days and had another offer made the same day we made ours... guess it was meant to be! That plus the fact that we had excellent realtors who wrote up a pretty competitive offer knowing it would sell quickly. We love the neighborhood and also landed in an excellent school district. Since we loved the area so much, we kept an eye on it but weren't sure if we'd be able to get in because the average price is a bit high, so when our house popped up in the middle of our price range, we pounced!
- 28: the number of houses looked at (I guess this is average for first-time home buyers and once you're buying your second home, this figure drops to 4 or 5, which is comforting since we thought we were just super-picky)
- 3 1/2: the number of months spent looking (which I guess is average for first-timers as well)
- 82: the number of "Property Match" emails received with houses in our price range and area
- 20%: the amount of our down payment (we wanted to be conservative so we put in some equity and kept our price range in an area where we are comfortable with the monthly payment on Ryan's income alone)
- $150: the amount less we'll be spending on our mortgage than we are in rent (this is the time to buy!)
- 9: the number of days until we close... CRAZY!
updated appliances they are fairly new, but not stainless steel or anything
laundry room upstairs
basement there is a crawl-space with tons of storage space, but not an actual basement
Regardless of what we crossed off our list or the money we'll be saving or what we'll have to live without, we found our perfect house. We realized along the way that the advice you're often given while house-hunting - that you do have to compromise on some things - is true, but this does not mean at all that you won't find your perfect house. It just means you probably won't cross everything off your list, but the things you will have will make it ideal. You'll just know that it's the right one, kind of like a spouse. Aww...
Anyway, let us know if you have questions or anything, we'd love to help anyone embarking on their first house-hunt! We're also available for recommendations on realtors, lenders, appraisers, inspectors, etc. The people we worked with were awesome.
Now wish us luck as we're preparing for our closing next Friday! This includes no blizzards, no delays, a smooth closing and a bottle of wine, duh.