4.27.2012

COLOR!

You know I love my neutrals - blacks, whites, grays, browns, creams - I love them.  Our wedding colors were even black and white and if you ask me, there's no better color combination.  Our first place was filled with them too, and not only because I'm partial to them, but because the walls, carpet, tile and counters were all a grayish-blueish color that didn't allow for much else.  Case in point...

 

Just looking at those makes me miss our little place!  It will always be so special.  Anyway, now that we have a house in which we can paint, put holes in, rip down wallpaper, replace light fixtures, etc. I have been craving some color!

I want to keep the large, expensive, permanent fixtures (such as couches, light fixtures and furniture) neutral and inject color with accessories.  This way they can be easily and cheaply switched out whenever we want.  We'll be able to change up the look of our house for seasons, when we get tired of the current stuff, or just as time goes on and our style changes.  Sidenote - I like how I keep saying "we" and "our" as if Ryan's #1 concern is our decor, haha.

All that being said, I've found that decorating with color is intimidating!  I completely agree with antiques dealer Joel Chen when he said...

“There are so many beautiful things in the world and so many ways to put them together, I just can’t make up my mind.”

This is exactly how I feel as I'm trying to figure out what color scheme, style, and feel we're going for.  Modern and cozy?  Colorful and eclectic?  Simple and understated?  I've bought some fun stuff lately but I'm wondering if it's totally mis-matched.  There is a very fine line between a space looking too matchy-matchy and it looking completely uncoordinated.

So to help narrow down some of my ideas, I've put together some of my favorite color-infused images via Pinterest.  Let me know what you like!

This first one is probably my favorite.  It's modern, cozy and warm.

via

Here's another great one that's fun and eclectic with great pops of color.

via

This next one is great - I would never leave my bedroom if this was it!

via

Another wonderfully eclectic cozy living area, I think this is my favorite kind of style.

via

I love, love, love these images and the energy they bring to a home.  Now I just have to figure out how to bring everything together in our home.  Hopefully this will help streamline the process so we don't end up with a place that looks like a bag of Skittles threw up all over.  No good.  I'll have to re-visit these images often as inspiration.  Just writing this post makes me enthused!

Happy Friday as well!

2 comments:

  1. Monica4/27/2012

    Exciting!! I highly doubt that your creation will look like a bag of skittles that threw up haha! I like the 3rd picture the best. Obviously becuase of the blue lol, and it seems calm and cool. My next fav pic is the first one, very cozy and comfortable. I can't wait to see what you design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the first one and the last one the best. With your talent, whatever you do is going to turn out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...